Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Orkut is a bug

There have been very few acts that I've regretted nearly instantly after being fool enough to commit them. But signing up on orkut- now, there is no doubt about that whatsoever -Maan, I've been a darn fool.

It's not just the "Waant FRIANDSHIP" types that put me off. No, you can find humour in them, if you force yourself to. At least you can squeeze some pity for those miserable worms. It's the way Google, whose employee we have to thank for this wonderful invention, automatically puts anyone you, in a fit of idiocy, accept as 'Friend,' in your G-chat list. G-Mail list. Whatever.

Yes, there is Free Will and all that and I should have said NO to friendship, but one is naive.
Gravely naive. And one makes mistakes huh. Repeatedly. Sigh.

And yes, I know you can block some people, but what the hell. I don't have that kind of time.

And therefore, I wake up each morning to a Google inbox full of trash, invites to the strangest of communities by the strangest of people. Indo-Russian Orthodontist?!!! Now, what would I do in
a community like that. Then, there is that silly You Are Tagged thingie, that is just Phishing - "Say Yes Or Your Friend Is Going To Think You Said No" ??!!!

And finally, there is the persistent G-chatter who will not take the hint if you do not respond to vague salutations from absolute strangers. Being a friend on orkut, they seem to think, entitles them to your heart, soul and sanity. I remember one person even abused me for not responding. Indignation, my friends, does not help in these circumstances.

Well, to give the Devil its due, it's true I have found some school mates and old friends through orkut, or they've found me. But I seem to have found more pests and invited them into my cosy home. Out of the sheer goodness of my heart, I have said yes to many people (who did not seem apparently mollusc like) for fear of wounding their tender stranger-hearts! Bless my foolish virtue, but find me a bottle of e-pest spray and you can even be my friend on Orkut! :)

Labels: , , ,

x

19 Comments:

Blogger Shiv said...

I know how you can feel...cos i had this problem. but i made sure i dint add anyone and everyone!! anyways seeing the lost links tat we re-gained, i think we need to take these add-ons!

7:36 pm

 
Blogger Houseowner said...

shiv,

I'm glad u sympathise! i'd have been devastated if the very first comment told me I was stupid! :)
true, there are advantages. But it seems to me, the disadvantages are going to send me to the brink of insanity! :(

cheers!
r

10:19 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the price of technology eh?
Its like, there are mobile phones now, and its indispensible...one even wonders how one lived without it...and thanks God for it...until the next time you're in a movie, and somebody calls you to flog (yet another) credit card! Ditto Orkut!
Cheers
er, a friend (Shelob)
PS - I'm allergic to anti-pest spary...just mentioning...so that the next time I dont get the hint, you know why...

10:57 pm

 
Blogger Shammi said...

It's only thanks to you that I've not joined Orkut nor ever intend to! I managed to dissuade my mother from responding to a cousin's invite to join Orkut - phew! (Very pestiferous cousin, well kept at as much distance as possible!) :)

3:06 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So does that mean you will not be my friend. :(

- D.Orkut, desperate friendship monger.

11:58 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha! i joined orkut for one person and after i got hooked to her directly i let go of orkut! :-) when you talked about the specific group on orkut, i logged in (which is easily 2-3yrs since my last login!) to checkout what the group is "create"-ing! Purpose served! < logoff! > :-)

I believe that a multi-user blog is a better option .. or maybe a less-annoying solution! :-)

4:21 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah.. this Tag thingy really bothers me.. It seems like it is more concerned about me than my friend.. sending automated mail everyday..

Jay

12:15 pm

 
Blogger Houseowner said...

shelob,
o, those hints are not for u!
:)

shyam,
u wise one, u! please be my master and my guide and lead me away from my deviant paths! :) are u having a good time in wales?!

anon,
its diffi to be friends with anonymous persons

FC,
so you'll do it?

Jay,
yeah, irritant value very high. :(

cheers!
r

2:55 pm

 
Blogger kpowerinfinity said...

disable orkut messages to be delivered to your inbox ... and disable the orkut-gtalk integration ..

fortunately, i registered on orkut with a different email address and so it doesnt pollute my inbox

9:18 am

 
Blogger Houseowner said...

kpowerinfinity,

hey, thanks. i have to do that on orkut, right?

cheers!
r

10:34 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

interesting post there...
but see its called a "networking" site... so if u had such a problem with people adding then u shouldn't had joined it in the first place...

anyway there are ways to keep annoying friends requests away.. but i guess such an active user of "modern technology" wouldn't know about it...

its a place to meet interesting people... get to know life a little better... keep in touch with pals and relatives... find your band mates if u want... find ur lost girlfriend if one day u really want to so bad...
but i guess this is a thing for the normal "worms"... not for a godess like u...

PS: try to take this as a feedback to ur post, not as an attack on ur personal though process and privacy...

4:37 am

 
Blogger Unknown said...

all I can say is I "ditto ditto" all the above!!! all of it...

Just the absolute same!

like or dont like.... cant say dearie

9:04 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey whats your Orkut ID ...i will add you soon !!!!!!! ( Indha write-up padichum naan thirundhala !) .....

read this buddy .. http://whencats.blogspot.com/2007/04/i-am-what-i-am-bullshit.html

11:58 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too experienced the same problem when i accept one stranger's request,then it linked me with bunch unknown(unwanted!!!)groups offers,now i using different ID watchfully.
Breakdown Insurance

12:25 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good you noticed the tagged thing. must have some name in marketing: sick marketing or something like that if we could name it. i mean, how sick can it get?

fo.unta.in

1:48 pm

 
Blogger Beautiful Mind said...

The root problem is..You need to learn to say "NO"..

Think about Anti-pestware tool

1:03 pm

 
Blogger Swapna Vijay said...

ramya. all that you got to do is jus press reject straight away.. i get about 6 requests a day from all weirdos.. n i login once in a while and clear them off.

11:01 pm

 
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1:09 pm

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, We 'cheapgundas' are 3 guys from Bangalore. This is our 2nd video.

Looks like you have been agonised by "Orkut Despo dudes"

Are you sick n tired of "fraandships" requests from despos in Orkut?
Do you get messages like:
"Hey babes I am a kool dude wid hot looks"
"Ur hairs is beutiffull, I am in luv instant."
"Life is a garden to be filled wid rozes of love friends"
"So lets friendship??"

Who are these despo guys and why do they do this?
Find the answer -
Watch our Video and Listen to the message carefully at the end ;)

'Orkut Despos-The agony of Babes'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dHuEYCcOS8

1:11 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

|