Thursday, December 29, 2005

Tsunami - going back, coming around

I think I was waiting for all the dust to die down. The dust that the first anniversary raised, almost as high as the first destructive wave of water.
I will not rush, fall and tumble in the urgency to tell the tales, I thought. And when they are all done, I told myself, I will tell my tale, just the way I want to.

You know why going back was good now? Because everything is coming around, you see. Everything is live, finally. Now, when you go back they ignore you, your flashing cameras, your black spiral notebooks, your imported sun block. Because they are busy fishing, mending nets, stiching raw fish bait onto small steel hooks, running their petty shops by the beach.

The memorial plants I had once written so elaborately about are dead; black wiry casurina stumps on dry ground. It makes a friend sad, but it makes me glad because I think the fishermen have better to do than carry garish blue-green buckets of water to memorial plants and sit by the saplings, forgetting the water, washing them with tears. The only salt that crusts on their cheeks now is the salt that they are used to; the residual salt from the sea-spray evaporating under a blinding sun.

For me though, the biggest hope is in the children, those who lived, those who survived and those who were born. Krishna and Amirthana were children of the tsunami, born on the morning of December 26, 2004. The two survived as the mothers scooped them up and stood on the only bed in the Akkaraipettai Health sub centre, in Nagapattinam and the fathers ran, clutching spouse and kid overhead, above water.

As if in penance for having borne the dead after the tsunami (all the bodies were piled up there), the Akkaraipettai Health Sub Centre decided to give life, on the first anniversary of the disaster. A healthy male boy was born, all of 2.75 kgs on the morning of the anniversary.

On the roads, little children waddle past in school uniforms. One of them, in a green skirt, stops and says to me, "English madam." "Who? Me? I'm one of you," I say. "Really?!" she wonders in amazement. I pull off my shades and cap.

"O.k. then give me your cell phone," Priya says.

"And what will you do with it?" I ask her.

"I want to call my teacher. But I don't know how to call her. So you do it for me."

"O.k. tell me her number... " She reels seven numbers in quick succession, but can't remember the last three.

Pouting, she says, "I cannot remember. Are you sure this is not enough?"

"No, baby. This won't do. I'll wait for you, go bring her number."

"It's o.k. I'll see her at school tomorrow. My house went off in the tsunami. But we have a house now," Priya says, tugging at the eaten-edge of her white school shirt. I give her a couple of biscuits and taking them, she thanks me. And thinks it fit to end the conversation with the booty, "Byeeee..." she said. And swishing her skirt, she walks away.

You must agree, it can't get more normal can it? That is why the going back was good.

---------------------------------

You might care to check my Tsunami-picture album at my photoblog. If you are looking only for children, check this out! If you are looking for more, you'll have to find elsewhere to go.

x

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ramya,
That was beautiful...
I dont quite know what else to say...
Moved,
shelob.
PS - life goes on, (not unlike) it always did for those who werent affected...and loved the photos, esp the one where the kids are playing on the sand...

8:29 am

 
Blogger hari said...

Hi Ramya,

It is truly fantastic and height of resilience to see the fisherfolks back in action and normalcy in its current definition, rather than sitting back and brooding over what and whom they have lost.

And the children have made a lot of difference to that. They can now endure anything and they are the future.

12:47 pm

 
Blogger ammani said...

Absolutely lovely. 'The only salt that crusts on their cheeks now is the salt that they are used to...' Loved the piece.

1:15 pm

 
Blogger Houseowner said...

shelob,

well, thanks! i'm glad you see it that way. and of course, wish you a very happy new year!

cheers!
ramya

9:01 pm

 
Blogger Houseowner said...

hari,

it's bound to happen. life goes on, after all.
wish you a happy new year!

cheers!
ramya

9:03 pm

 
Blogger Houseowner said...

ammani!

hey thanks! pity we cdnt meet when you were here. that just leaves me hatching a plan to travel to london so we can meet! what say?!
and have a creative, very creative new year!

cheers!
ramya

9:04 pm

 
Blogger Swahilya Shambhavi said...

Hi Ramya: Wish you and everybody at office a very Happy New Year. Love. Swaha.

10:15 pm

 
Blogger gP said...

Happy New Year Ramya. May god bless you and your family. May all your wishes come true this new year.

The Tsunami victims are always remembered.

1:11 pm

 
Blogger Houseowner said...

Dear swa,

wish you the best in the new year!
cheers!
ramya

3:48 pm

 
Blogger Houseowner said...

Ghost Particle,

Merci! wish you a great year too!

cheers!
ramya

3:48 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks and a very Happy New Year to you too, Ramya!
Shelob.

4:18 pm

 
Blogger karma said...

Wish you a happy and prosperous new year!!!

6:14 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ramya,
Proud of you! That was superbly written with characteristic style and feeling! Here's wishing you a 2006 that is a tad slower paced for you than 2005?
Cheers,
Ravi

4:37 pm

 
Blogger Houseowner said...

aravind,

hey, thanks a lot! have a great year too!

cheers!
ramya

3:55 pm

 
Blogger Houseowner said...

RAVI

you sent me a CARD! that is so cool! thanks!

cheers!
ramya

3:57 pm

 
Blogger Dave Llorito said...

its nice to know that things are getting back to normal there, ramya. i dont know how "normal" but it seems people are getting back to their own lives. how are you?

7:19 am

 
Blogger Houseowner said...

without borders,

like they say, 'normal' is as normal gets! :) yes, its good to go back! i'm doing fine and how are you!

cheers!
ramya

1:33 pm

 
Blogger Peelamedu_bulls said...

Good to see the resilence and spirit of the people.

9:41 am

 
Blogger Houseowner said...

peelamedu

that's a nice name! and yes, it is very encouraging to see raw resilience.

cheers!
ramya

12:06 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

|