Friday, August 05, 2005

Where did I come from? Where did I go?

KATHMANDU! (Like the song says!)

30638063_896f6870ce_m, originally uploaded by errum.

Yes, this is belated I know, but surprise! (to and I have been busy with many things other than work.

However, now that we are here, Kathmandu was indeed intriguing - beautiful, peaceful (after a fashion), full of myths, pagodas, an autocratic king and protests. I did not say mountains, because well, hmmm... they are all over. The advantage of being in a valley is that you can see mountains from anywhere, blue, in the distance, soft wispy clouds floating atop. Even for a land lubber like me who derives much satisfaction from well, flat land and the sea.

I have much to say for Deepak, fellow blogger, presently in Nepal and my tour guide! He is a great host and has read up about the fantastic myths of the country. I couldn't not have had a better guide... Merci beaucoup mon ami!

***

Nepalis in Kathmandu belong to the Newari tribe, a heavy meat-eating community. So you have the most fancy food in the restaurants for non vegetarians and that includes wild boars, buffaloes, wild pigs etc... However, since the kingdom has a substantial Hindu-vegetarian population, they very courteously ask you every time if you are vegetarian before they serve you.

***

There is something about Nepalis and T-shirt slogans. I saw many men and women walking around with t-shirts that said the following gems: "I'm Sorry", "I'm a Virgin", "No Dates", "I only sleep with the best." Thereby provoking me to retort with the following inanities: "For what?!", "REally?!" "Some Arab blood in you?" "How interessting! But how do you figure the best?"

They say a repressed society finds its own ways of expressing itself!

Tailpiece

And if you are wondering, like my seven-year old cousin, why this picture is up on a post on Kathmandu, it is because the skyscapes are stunning. For the other pics, more representative of the city-town, click here!

x

20 Comments:

Blogger johnny boy said...

Welcome back !! :)
You are quite obsessed with the skies arent you? hehe, second time we get to see a nice shot of the skies on ur blog :-) Thankfully, this time no debates on whether its dawn or dusk .... :-)

1:13 am

 
Blogger johnny boy said...

I was jus thinkin abt the 'happening' t-shirts in kathmandu. It instigated a lotta replies from u right, well how about these replies ? :-)
"I'm Sorry" -> You Better Be !
"I'm a Virgin" -> I can see why!
"No Dates" -> Thankfully !
"I only sleep with the best" -> So u rarely ever sleep!

:-) jussss for funn ok... If ppl had the guts to give these replies, those shirts would find their way to the deep end of the wardrobe :-) hehe

1:20 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks a ton for the mention. You are always welcome, and the pleasure was entirely mine. I m happy u enjoyed ur stay here :)

11:19 am

 
Blogger KRTY said...

"I'm a Virgin" -> I can see why!

Johnny boy - LOL ! That was awesome.

Ramya, Wild boars ? thank god they ask before serving.

12:57 pm

 
Blogger Houseowner said...

johnny boy!

LOL! i like your replies, especially the extremely rude, "I can see why"! :)

yeah, i'm obsessed with skyscapes and yeah, no room for any philosophical debate this time! :)

cheerS1

2:32 pm

 
Blogger Houseowner said...

bala,

thanks! :) there are more, but i have to upload them sometime...
cheers!

2:32 pm

 
Blogger Houseowner said...

deepak!

well, give the devil its due has always been my philospohy! :)

cheers!

3:07 pm

 
Blogger IBH said...

That is a good info on Newari tribes!how about these answers?:)))

Ï am a Virgin -oh! Ï am sorry!
I only sleep with the best -Oh! I am Sorry! No Dates:)

:)

2:29 am

 
Blogger Sriram said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:46 am

 
Blogger hari said...

Hi Ramya,

Great pics. The sunset and the jungle lake are just breath taking. Have a nice time. Keep going.

8:43 am

 
Blogger hari said...

Hi Ramya,

I have always felt Deepak has been a great guy as a regular visitor to his blog. You have now endorsed it.

8:44 am

 
Blogger Sriram said...

Welcome back! Nice to see you drop by! Me is just curious, how did u find your way to me blog? Did u remember the URL? cause I don't see me on your blog roll and all! BTW, me has some ideas for t-shirt slogans as well ;).. however, i'll reserve them for now :D.. Peace!

Sriram.

12:45 pm

 
Blogger johnny boy said...

:)) Danks @ Keerthi and Ramya...
I dint mean to be rude da... Jus for the fun of it :-)

7:33 pm

 
Blogger Houseowner said...

IBH,

hey, HI! everyone has an interesting set of answers for the t-shirts! :)

cheers!
ramya

12:34 am

 
Blogger Houseowner said...

johnny boy!

that's quite allright! sometimes rude's funny too, if aint targetted at specific individuals!

cheers!
ramya

12:35 am

 
Blogger Houseowner said...

sriram,

you are most welcome. yeah, i can remember your url- rather simple, eh?! :)
ill blogroll you as soon as i my template screen opens up... some prob with it now...

cheers!
ramya

12:36 am

 
Blogger Houseowner said...

hari,

welcome! what are those wordly things that you find yourself enmeshed in? we are after all worldly people arent we? creatures of habit.

cheers!
ramya

12:38 am

 
Blogger Venky Krishnamoorthy said...

Ramya, How is the political scene in Nepal?

9:04 am

 
Blogger Houseowner said...

well, venky, there is strife, strikes and arrests everyday. yet it is possible to be unaffected by this. i'm also planning to write an article on visiting nepal as a tourist during emergency!

cheers!
ramya

1:56 pm

 
Blogger Twin-Gemini said...

Nice pictures of Mandu! Someday I will get enough time to take a holiday to that place.

Dont quite agree with the thought that "a repressed society finds its way...". The US is one of the most open societies, and I have seen such T-Shirts and even worser ones quite often.

12:02 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

|