Friday, July 27, 2007

A real letter

Just a couple of days ago. I wrote a real letter, you know-with pen on paper. I stuck a stamp on it and shoved it into the "Other than Tamil Nadu" slot in the Post Office. Right now, if I got the box right, an owl or a plane should be carrying it across the seas to its destination in Singapore.

And I'm pleased as punch!

In the days when I had just one e-mail account(good old Hotmail!)and orkut could
well have been a lean-meats store in Kampuchea, I used to love writing letters.

Really. I used to pack thick sheafs of papers filled with my large, right sloping cursive, mostly in black ink.I even had a stock of different types of paper, of course, to fit the personality type I'd be writing to, the flowery pages, some traditional auroville handmade paper, the cigar-banana thick sheets. Frequently,I'd buy coloured pens, ink ones, sometimes to make fancy illustrations on the margins, just in case the writing got colourless. And I'd walk to the General Post Office to buy just-released stamps to put on the envelopes.

I don't know if all the various people I was Pen-Pals with enjoyed these letters:To the firangi ones, I wrote about the rich history and culture of India and the south; to those in other states, it was unending accounts of the history of Chennai and its most famous locales! To read them now, you'd think I would have turned out a historian, albeit an immature one, or worse, fascist! Maybe, I have, actually. Historian, not fascist. I do chronicle stuff for a living. MAturity, I hope, was acquired over the years!

And then, I used to meander, just like this. Start with one thing and then run away with another...And leave my poor readers to make sense of the thing... I surely do hope they weathered the reams and went until the last when they'd be assaulted by an absurd amount of hand-drawn smileys and exclamation marks! Mercifully, I wouldn't end with love and kisses! Or would I?!

Anyway, Naveen my friend, the letter I wrote to you a couple of days ago is slimmer, on real good handmade-paper; with close packed right-sloping cursive, slimmer now; and has no smileys; some exclamations and certainly no history of the world! Thanks for writing to me, first, a proper letter. Somewhere, something told me, one good turn deserves a letter! And there you go!

I might waltz into Landmark tomorrow, not even look at Harry Potter, walk to the stationery section and pick up some of that strawberry-scented paper I've been hearing about. The next time, I can compensate for lack of reading material with exotic smelling material. But, that's the next time! Until then, I'll just go and check my Orkut scraps!

Labels: , , , , , ,

x

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ramya!!!
Came here after so long and by bliss enjoyed everything happening here.
Hope you had a terrific hot time in Delhi ;)

2:06 am

 
Blogger Houseowner said...

hey rajee,

welcome, once again, to my green lair! :) i had a terrible hot time in delhi, thnk u very much! :(
How u doing?

cheers!
ramya

3:01 pm

 
Blogger Sathej said...

Nice to see a new post.Yes,writing letters is really great.Really a nice feeling when you read hand-written letters(especially with all your decorations and so on).Getting quite obsolete nowadays.You do chronicles,that's good!
Sathej

8:22 am

 
Blogger Shammi said...

Gosh, to think I used to be a prolific letter-writer - I had dozens of penpals over the years, but i think the ones I took the most trouble over were the ones i wrote in German (phew). And HOW i loved good smooth white paper to write on with a good pen filled with Parker black ink... All good fun. :) All in the past. Nowadays if I write anything I keep wanting to add emoticons! *SigH*

4:21 pm

 
Blogger Houseowner said...

sathej,

Thanks for reading! you make me want to be a regular blogger!:)

Shyam,

o yeah, i know just what you mean. sigh!

cheers!
r

4:24 pm

 
Blogger Silly Sally said...

That was a nice post rekindling those Nostalgic Childhood Days...where-in maintaining Pen-Pals was an "à la mode" thinggy!!

Belimme, Today with Y! msgr,SMS,email and Orkut Scrapping.. ppl have forgotten how to hold the pen between their thumb and index fingers..first culprit in the list is "ME"!!

I remember those childhood days when I used to win prizes for Best Handwriting contests... Couple of weeks ago I felt a sharp twinge of guilt when my client complimented [complained of course ;-) ] that I had an awful handwriting when I was trying to explain something to him on a piece of clean white paper with a ball-point pen, the output of which had turned out to be a mass of undecipherable set of words and characters huddled together in the name of writing! (Boo...Hoo!!Sob...Sob!!)

I shall buy a Cursive Writing Note pretty soon and start practicing!... Wish me luck :D

12:25 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Handwritten letters are treasure troves...

Deeply buried in the realms of emotions that drove...

And they are eternal…

Forever clogged in an aura of warmth and basked in a radiance of glow…

A fountain with an uninterrupted flow can never hinder your creative flow...

2:38 pm

 
Blogger Sathej said...

Of course, your blog is quite interesting and you can be pretty much assured that I would read it regularly!
Sathej

3:17 pm

 
Blogger Houseowner said...

saloni, :) good luck, if you need it! i'm sure you wont. i have a feeling its like riding a bicycle. you can get back on without too much effort! :)

dragonn, i guess! :) thanks for the verse!

Sathej, you have made my day!

cheers!
r

6:13 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are very much right, it is great feel to read/write the handwritten letters. But My last handwritten letter was more than 10 years ago, still I've remember which I written to my MOM from hostel.Nice memories...
Car Recovery Service

9:58 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

|